Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Happy Birthday: Kristin


Kristin is my best friend, college roommate, and cousin.  

This little gem is from the very beginning.  Our high school graduation trip to Mexico.  And no, we were not about to go to sleep in those matching pjs, we were about to go out.  Sweet outfits.


We met shortly before this, which is a whole other story.  One that I am sure many of you have heard a thousand times so I will spare you.  I can't even begin to recall the countless amazing times we had during our college years.  We lived together all four years and I could not have asked for a better roomie.  I always loved living with her.  Probably because she is one of the peppiest people on the planet.  She was always so encouraging and supportive with ANY situation that I bothered her with.  I don't know how she put up with my shenanigans for those four years, but I am so glad that she did.  


She changed my outlook on so many things, and really changed me for the better.  


We have these two guys to thank for forcing us to live together.  


I used to look back on our college days as our "glory years."  But our friendship has become SO much more since then.  Kristin's strong faith has influenced my faith in so many ways.  After college, she made the decision to go through RCIA and join the Church.  I was so inspired by her dedication and commitment to learning.  She is so devout, and truly lives out her faith.  Our friend, Father Jimmy, always says the she is a saint.  No argument here.  


She is unbelievably selfless.  I have never seen someone put others first that way that she does.  


Kristin and I have always described our personalities as exactly that same, but completely opposite.  I guess only we can really understand that dynamic, but it is what makes our relationship so special.  We share so many of the same beliefs, yet we have different strengths and weaknesses.  

We got to share the experience of being engaged and wedding planning at the same time!  She was very instrumental in Michael and I getting together, so obviously I am extremely grateful to her for that.  I was also 100% responsible for her and Jeff ;)




Our weddings were five months apart.  In true Kristin fashion, she spent most of the night of our reception following me around making sure that every hair was in place and that my bustle stayed in tact.  Not worried about herself or having a good time.  Only concerned with making sure it was a perfect day for me.  Typical.  This was also the day we officially became family! 



I was so honored to be a part of her BEAUTIFUL wedding!!  It was such a special occasion.  



Shortly after these blessed unions, we brought two more girls into our club.  This is Cora and Julia's first official picture together.


When Cora was born, she left work in Houston in the middle of the day and drove all the way to Austin to come see us!  



I am so thankful that Kristin is Cora's godmother.  Not only is she an amazing example of faith, but I know that she will always be there for Cora no matter what, just as she has for me.  



Four months later, we got to meet sweet little Julia.  


Cora was a little jealous at first.  


It is so much fun getting to share in the experience of raising our little girls.  It is no surprise that we share the same type of parenting styles, so I am constantly depending on Kristin.  I have learned so much from her as a mother. 


I was so excited when she asked me to be Julia's godmother.  I will always make sure she knows what an amazing mom she has.   


These nine years of friendship have been more than I could have ever hoped for.  Our relationship is so precious to me.  Kristin is such a special person, I don't know how i got so lucky to have her as a best friend.  




God bless the broken road.  Love you, Krissy! I hope you have the happiest birthday!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment