Monday, March 5, 2012

Weekend Getaway

Last Thursday I decided that my dear husband was in need of a little vacation.  He has been working crazy hours lately.  I was really craving some good quality family time for the three of us.  So, last minute I found a tiny condo in Galveston for us to rent for the weekend.  As soon as Michael pulled into the driveway on Friday afternoon, Cora and I were ready and waiting in the car. He had NO idea.


This was our first stop.  A delicious little seafood joint right on the beach.  


I can't imagine how much Michael must miss this little one while he is working.  They are always so snuggly on the weekends.  She misses him too.  


Don't let these pictures fool you.  We spent about 99.9% of Saturday just lazying around our condo.  It was cold and extremely windy outside so we didn't get to experience the beach as we had hoped, but it was also nice to have nothing to do and really catch up on some rest!  





Cora was pretty timid in the sand at first.  But he really loved the seagulls and the waves.  

Sunday morning was beautiful.  We woke up early, enjoyed breakfast together, then went to mass.  We went to the same church we went to over the 4th of July last year.  It is so gorgeous.  I am amazed at God's generosity.  I have the privilege to meet him fully in the Eucharist and yet he still finds even more ways to touch my heart.  Sometimes it is difficult to be intellectually engaged in the mass with a super squirmy baby, but he still makes himself known.  Even though I was participating in a wresting match behind the pews, I could still see the morning light pouring in through the stained glass.  A reminder of God's beauty and romance.  This hour with God fills me with more life and energy than any vacation could ever hope to.  



Mother

Bishop's Palace across the street

Sacred Heart Church


Even though it was still too cold to really enjoy, we went out to the beach for just a little bit before heading back home.  









We were supposed to end the weekend with a first birthday party for Cora's friend, Clare.  But unfortunately she is still having Croup symptoms so we were afraid that she may pass it on to the other kiddos.  Cora and I have been hanging out with Clare and her sister, Violet since their mom has gone back to work and have gotten very close to them, so we were really disappointed that we had to miss it.  But overall it was a wonderful weekend.  Our first family vacation. 

4 comments:

  1. Love that little ruffle butt!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such beautiful pictures, Becky! I also love your sentiment on Mass...with toddlers. So true. I think I always struggled so much with the fact that I couldn't be "present' like I was pre-children...but lately, some of the little moments (like you mentioned) have brought about such a beautiful awareness of His peace and His love...in the midst of a time that isn't necessarily peaceful. Always a good thing :)

    Wow. Long comment. Typical.
    Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Cynthia! I love your blog, I was so happy to find it!

      Delete